FW: [NatureNS] Peepers, hummers and thanks

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:13:08 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>

Comments re peeper colours and on hummer feeders into fall:

On peeper colour, I forgot to mention that Spring female peepers are
normal-coloured, not dark brown on top like males; also males have dark
throats, not so in females.

Re when to discontinue hummer feeders, most gurus say to leave them up well
into the Autumn, even through October and well into November.  It's no
trouble since the fluid doesn't have to be changed very often, and the
feeder will be there when the hummers that are late, or vagrants from
elsewhere, i.e. rarities, really need the dietary supplement when flowers
and bugs are few for them to find.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville