[NatureNS] Photos of mystery goose

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:23:19 -0300
From: George Forsyth <g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: George Forsyth <g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_+RTjgL9eRViCA67Uvq/AMg)

The goose in the center of the photo is an African, a breed of domestic
goose. See the website:
  http://www.waterfowl.org.uk/	choose; domestic waterfowl in the menu
bar at top, then choose: geese,	then choose: heavy geese

The smallest in the photo is obviously a Canada goose, wild or feral is
anyone's guess.
The two geese on the outside of the photo don't match a breed or
species description but could be the result of the mating of the
African and Canada geese. The necks show some black like the Canada,
the rumps of all the geese are white, the rump size is also larger than
the Canada but not extreme like the African, and the backs of all of
the geese are brown, the two seem to show some marking as in the
African.

George

On 10, Sep 2006, at 12:35 AM, Patrick Kelly wrote:

> Hello everyone:
>
> This evening, two people that I know from the Blomidon Naturists
> showed me a picture they had taken of several odd-looking geese. The
> birds were in Herring Cove, just outside of Liverpool about 1:00 this
> afternoon.
>
> They sent me the picture by e-mail and I have put it on my web site.
> The first one shows four geese. the smallest of which appears to be a
> Canada goose. The second picture is a close-up of the two on the
> right. Are these simply domestic geese that have escaped?
>
> http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/MysteryGoose1.jpg
> http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/MysteryGoose2.jpg
>
> Pat
>
> PS : I have a much-higher resolution picture if it would help.
>
> Patrick Kelly
> RR#2  159 Town Road
> Falmouth NS  B0P 1L0
> Canada
George E. Forsyth						ph.  902 681 4910
c/o Evangeline Middle School			fax. 902 681 4909
9387 Commercial St.
New Minas, N.S.
B4N 3G3

[...]