[NatureNS] Blk-bellied Plovers - Windsor Sewage Ponds

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:44:35 -0300

Windsor Sewage Ponds, Kings Co  -  High Tide (very high) 1.34p.m.       Sat:
Sept 8 / 06

300    Black-bellied Plover

    8    S-b. Dowitcher

    4    Red Knot

    2    Spotted Sandpiper

    3    Sanderling

    6    Lsr. Yellowlegs

    1    Gtr. Yellowlegs

    1    Ruddy Turnstone

  78    Black Duck

    2    Mallard

    1    Mallard X domestic white duck (?). [The male Mallard markings are
becoming more pronounced as it gets older]

  37    Grn-w. Teal

  22    Ring-bill. Gull

Two hours later (3.30 p.m.), 50% of the Black-bellies left for the Causeway
flats. When I followed to check out their progress  from the Falmouth
Connector location, about 400 peeps were already out there feeding with the
BLPLs. They were soon joined by more bringing the number up to ~1000 peeps,
with many small flocks then flying up the mouth of the Avon River, towards
Minas Basin and possibly Evangeline Beach.

Two Gt Blue Herons  were also trying their luck in the area and as I left
the connector area heading back onto the HWY # 101, I noticed four other Gt
Blue Herons standing in a row on a dyke - like sentinels - watching over a
dyke-land pond.

Cheers
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts