[NatureNS] more on single BAT roosting spots noticed at Kentville and Wolfville

Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:44:59 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Tom Herman <tom.herman@acadiau.ca>,

From: Hugh Broders <hugh.broders@smu.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:07:06 -0300
To: 'Jim Wolford' <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>, 'NatureNS'
<naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: 'Fred Scott' <fwscott@eastlink.ca>, 'Tom Herman' <tom.herman@acadiau.ca>
Subject: RE: single BAT roosting spots noticed at Kentville and Wolfville

Hi Jim et al.,
This is a very interesting time of year for bats and I think that I can
safely say we do not yet have a good handle on movement patterns.  What we
do know is that bats began arriving back at hibernacula more than 2 weeks
ago and on some nights the activity there is extremely high.  However, this
activity is not related to the onset of hibernation but more likely the
onset of courtship activities (and maybe the orientation of young of the
year to hibernation sites).  Day roosting happens outside the caves
somewhere during this time, but we are not sure where.  It also appears that
there is a high turnover in the group composition at the sites. I can only
speculate on where individuals go when they leave the hibernacula- it may be
other cave sites.  I hope that we can get a better handle on this over the
next few years.

With regards to your roosting observations, this is a time of year when we
are more likely to see "odd" roosting behaviors.  Maternity colonies will
have broken up by now and individuals are more likely to be roosting
solitarily, and we have all these inexperienced juveniles moving around and
preparing for winter.  During the summer months male little brown and
northern long eareds are solitary day-roosters but I expect most instances
of roost observations of the type that you have noted during the summer
months would be male little browns (northern long-eareds are forest dwelling
and so I wouldn’t expect them to be visiting the liquor store in wolfville).
However, I would not be comfortable with making a prediction regarding
species/gender/age at this time of year.

I hope this is insightful.

Hughie