FW: [NatureNS] Paragon Walk

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:24:50 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

John, it seems very late to me for tent caterpillars -- could they have been
something else, like fall webworms?  Fall webworms make their tents around
the foliage, unlike tent caterpillars which put the tents in branch-forks
(and usually in spring/early summer).  I think the fall webworms are now all
finished, having left their tents to pupate etc.  They are tiger moths
(arctiids) and can be found on a variety of woody plants but mostly on
alders.

Your aerial feeding gulls were most likely feeding on flying ants, I'll bet!

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville
----------------
On Sept. 3, John Belbin wrote from Kingston:

"Tent caterpillars were everywhere, by far the worst infestation I have seen
locally."

"At home early this afternoon my attention was drawn to a dozen Herring
Gulls
that were circling continuously overhead. They were acting like flycatchers
and having some considerable success at capturing an airborne prey. Whatever
they were after was prolific and quite active. It would often see them
coming and attempt to dodge - it was quite amusing to see the gulls try to
stop on a dime and stretch out their necks to catch whatever was fleeing
from them. This chase went on for several minutes."