[NatureNS] preying and praying

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 10:42:13 -0300
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The transformation of "prey" into "pray" in a message this  message brings
up a switch I've found quite common, but in the opposite direction --
"Praying Mantis" mistakenly but understandably given as "Preying Mantis."
One way to remember "Praying" is that the Latin for the species is _Mantis
religiosa_, which hints at the praying. But the Canadian Oxford Dictionary
subtly acknowledges a pray/prey pun when it says "...a mantis...that holds
its forelegs in a position suggestive of the hands folded in prayer, while
waiting to pounce on its prey."
-- yours insectorily (don't look for that word in your dictionary), Brian