[NatureNS] toxicity of NS milkweeds -- was Monarch still emerging.. Valley

Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:44:23 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

larry Bogan wrote on Sept. 3/06:

"Not all chrysalises survive. I saw a Blue Jay take one off the side of
the building. I don't know if it had a gagging response since it flew
away immediately. A couple have had damage and a couple just darken and
no Monarch emerges before it decays."

I think I have mentioned before to this list that I read somewhere a long
time ago that Nova Scotia's two species of milkweeds, namely common milkweed
and swamp milkweed, are relatively non-toxic when compared with other
species of milkweeds, especially more southern species?  Also there is
apparently quite a bit of variation among the remaining species and perhaps
within species also?

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Of course there must be repercussions
also on the mimicry relationship between viceroys and monarchs, even if it's
true that viceroys are in turn somewhat or fairly toxic themselves.  Perhaps
the viceroy in Nova Scotia is the model, with the mild-tasting monarch the
mimic?!

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville