[NatureNS] Blackbird Flight + Big I. Pictou Co.

From: "Ken McKenna" <kenmcken@pchg.net>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:08:47 -0300

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
kenmcken@pchg.net
----- Original Message -----
From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:19 PM
Subject: [NatureNS] Blackbird Flight
Hi James and all
    Early this morning on my way to Big I. I encountered a large flock of
Grackles in the Egerton area. This time of year I often encounter a flock in
this area as there are quite a few fields of corn in the area. The flock one
year I think used to roost at night in the intervale of the East River below
my house in Plymouth and at times reached a couple of thousand birds. At the
break of dawn they would leave the roost and head east toward Merigomish.  I
am not sure where this flock is roosting this year. I estimated the flock at
500+ but there were probably more birds crossing the road before I reached
them.
    Nothing too unusual at Big I. this morning. I tallied just over 60
species. There were 10 species of warbler with MYRTLE (34) and MAGNOLIA(7)
the most common. A male WILSON'S WARBLER  was a nice one to see back of
McGee Pond. I tallied 9 shorebird species with SEMIPLAMATED PLOVER (64) the
most common. There were still 31 SHORT-BILLED DOWICHERS present. They have
been there since mid.- August. There were 3 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS with the
flock of shorebirds at the east end of the causeway.  Other common birds
were FLICKERS (16), BONAPARTE'S GULLS (100+), COMMON TERN ( 50+) and GREAT
BLUE HERON (37). I caught a brief look at a CASPIAN TERN as it disappeared
out of sight behind some of the Pig Islands. Liz Doull informed me she and
Ann had seen it last night as well.

cheers
    Ken