[NatureNS] Blackbird Flight

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 23:19:13 +0000

After a long day at work, I decided to take a walk around the loop of the
Back Harbour Trail this evening for some exercise and fresh air.  On the
back side of the trail I noted about 20 common grackles.  As I approached I
saw a few other groups of red-winged blackbirds and common grackles of
similar size.   Then a flight began of these birds passing over which was
great enough that I could hear the wooshing of wings.  They kept coming and
coming and these birds settled into the trees on the backside of Lunenburg.
I estimated roughly 500 red-winged blackbirds 80 common grackles and 50
European Starlings.  Definitely and exciting sight to see.

James R. Hirtle
Lunenburg