[NatureNS] Bees & Grasshoppers

From: bev wigney <bev@magickcanoe.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:15:40 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 1-Sep-06, at 1:15 PM, Angus MacLean wrote:

> Is anyone aware of guides/publications on 1) bees & wasps 2)
> grasshoppers, katydids & crickets? As to the latter, is there one
> for NS?
>
> I see there is a "Guide to the Grasshoppers, Katydids & Crickets of
> the U.S". However that may not include the NS species.

* The above-mentioned Grasshopper guide by Capinera, Scott & Walker
is quite good.  The range maps do include Canada and seem accurate
for Ontario -- not sure about Nova Scotia, but I would expect so.
It's an interesting guide and probably the best and most available
for Orthoptera at the current time.

For Bumblebees, the bee identifcation chart in Bernd Heinrich's
"Bumblebee Economics" is quite useful.  I've also got a copy of "The
Natural History of Bumblebees:  A Sourcebook for Investigations" by
Carol A. Kearns and James. D. Thomson.  There's a small section of
colour photos of the various species which is also helpful.

Online, the "Discover Life" Apoidea section is fairly good and the
Bombus section  may be helpful in narrowing down your choices. Here's
the link.  Click on Bombus to use for IDing bumblebees.
http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/tx/Insecta/Hymenoptera/Apoidea/
#Identification
Again, I can't say how well any of these resources would work for
Nova Scotia as I've used them mainly as aids for IDing species in
Ontario.

Hope that's of some help.

Bev
Osgoode, Ontario