[NatureNS] Fall Warblers and Other Good Stuff

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:40:54 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_wykBKX+kI8JmF1QCV6aB/w)

Hi Wayne and all,

It would be great if the bird depicted in photo http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights7.html was a Least Flycatcher, but alas I've not encountered any in Lewis Lake PP in 6 years of birding here, indeed I don't have any breeding evidence for this species in this MBBA square anywhere, although I have lots more habitat to investigate in future years.

The bird depicted in photo http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights12.html is another story.  Kinglets often travel with warblers but they are usually easy to separate from the warblers due to their smaller(birdlet) size and wing flitting habit as they flit from branch to branch.  The subject bird was warbler sized and did not flit its wings. Other potential candidates might be first year female Pine Warbler or Bay-breasted Warbler.  A great field guide for warblers is Stokes' Field Guide to Warblers by Donald and William Stokes.  On page 162 of this book is a superb photo of a first year female Cape May Warbler.

Bird identification is not an exact business and it seems I am always one photo short of a complete diagnosis.

Thanks to all for help in ID-ing the smartweed.

Hans