[NatureNS] Fall Warblers and Other Good Stuff

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 01:09:40 -0300

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; Enjoyed your photos, as usual.&nbsp; getting exposed to all these good shots of immature birds, odd plants, and invertebrates helps us all sharpen our identification skills.&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp; Your possible Cape May juvenile, looks to me like a Ruby-crowned Kinglet; the others all look good; the imm. Chestnut-sided this time is a typical one, but the Aug. 17 picture labeled as such looks more like a young Least Flycatcher.&nbsp; It is interesting how different the Magnolias look and how much more difficult they are to identify when you cannot see the whole bird.&nbsp; Were they all of the same one?&nbsp; And the Purple Finch really has a purple bill!&nbsp; The mystery plant is a<EM> Polygonum</EM>, perhaps <EM>punctatum</EM>,&nbsp;but I'll leave the species to the botanists - there are about 26 in N. S. according to Zinck.<BR><BR>Keep them coming!</P>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Nova Scotia <BR><BR><BR>"Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she better understands her own affairs than we." - Michel de Montaigne, 1580. <BR><BR><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
From: <I>Hans Toom &lt;Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca&gt;</I><BR>Reply-To: <I>naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</I><BR>To: <I>"Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" &lt;naturens@chebucto.ns.ca&gt;</I><BR>Subject: <I>[NatureNS] Fall Warblers and Other Good Stuff</I><BR>Date: <I>Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:54:51 -0300</I><BR><BR>
<META content="Microsoft SafeHTML" name=Generator>
<STYLE>
</STYLE>
</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>A couple of years ago I met a chap on the trail at Rondeau PP, ON, in May while we were both enjoying the spectacle of spring warblers, mostly very easy to identify by sight or sound.&nbsp; The conversation eventually turned to my home and he then queried the best time for birding in Nova Scotia to which I replied Sept to Nov.&nbsp; I watched his jaw drop in disappointment as he uttered, "fall warblers!!!".&nbsp; This phrase is well used and valid as fall warblers can be very difficult to sort out even with photographs on hand.&nbsp; Freshly fledged fall warblers are even harder to ID and its all made just that much&nbsp;more difficult because the clues usually afforded by&nbsp;local habitat and local breeders becomes irrelevant.&nbsp; I've posted a bunch of photos of fall warblers that moved through Portuguese Cove this afternoon, all juveniles.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>A case to demonstrate my point is the first photograph.&nbsp; Is this&nbsp;a Cape May Warbler, or something else?&nbsp; I can't decide. The sharp black bill, greenish rump, greenish edges to flight feathers&nbsp;and pale edged greater coverts all favours the Cape May Warbler, but??&nbsp; If you check the internet photo library you'll notice that almost all examples are of the easy to ID adult Cape May Warbler not my subject juvenile.&nbsp; I have other photos of recently fledged birds that are so confusing that they are likely not identifiable.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The last photo in this series of birds and plants is a plant that we cannot identify.&nbsp; Its common enough and favours marsh edges.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights12.html</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>__________________________________________________<BR>Hans Toom<BR>Provincial Coordinator<BR>Nova Scotia's Migration Count<BR>e-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
NSMC website: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature website: http://hanstoom.com

Play Q6 for your chance to WIN great prizes.</html>