[NatureNS] FW: cardinals breeding in Middleton,

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 01:39:27 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Glenys Gibson <glenys.gibson@acadiau.ca>,

Thanks, Barb and Pat -- Which one of you is the "I" in the account below?
Just joshing -- thanks for reply and various info', which I have obviously
passed on to others here!  Jim
----------
From: Pat Giffin <barpat@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:04:40 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: cardinals breeding in Wolfville and Canning + Middleton

Hi Jim:
Confirmed Cardinal offspring at Adora and Herb Parsons and at Ann and Fred
Balcomb both families in Middleton.  Adora coordinated a data gathering
effort 2 years ago(approx), log keeping with times and location to establish
that at least 3 families of N. Cardinals were present in Middleton at that
time.  Claire Diggins, BBA person is aware.
re Your: "They hear singing all the time, and she also mentioned having
heard DUETTING CARDINALS, and we wonder if that might be the male and female
singing alternately?"  countersinging occurs during: 1.  courtship 2.
territory formation 3. contact note between mates -- reference: Donald and
Lillian Stokes, "A Guide to Bird Behaviour"Vol. 2.

Yesterday we were boating near Bush Island (Lahave Islands) and saw a flock
of about 50 Common Terns,  although we had seen them several times over the
years this is the largest flock, some in adult, breeding plumage.

Very surprised to see a Blanding's Turtle in the lake that is on the
DesBrisay Museum property in Bridgewater!  a first for us.

Merlins last week at Lahave River Yacht Club. I spotted the pair just before
they landed on a roof ridge about 15ft above ground and about 100ft away
from me.  Thankfully, I had stopped behind a solid structure that allowed me
to rest my elbows to support the weight of my binoculars as I continued to
watch them for the next 30 minutes or so.  The difference in size was
remarkable!  Measurements from various references have the female
approximately one quarter to one-third larger than the male.  These data are
determined by precise measurements in a laboratory environment.  In the
field, from my vantage point, the female seemed to be twice the size of the
male.  The size difference became most apparent when the pair attempted
copulation a number of times.  The male's size made it appear an impossible
venture; in fact, I witnessed several unsuccessful attempts that might all
be attributed to the male being too small to accomplish the task albeit the
female was willing and cooperative.  Perhaps, inexperience is more of an
issue. My arms grew weary, and I confess to being uncomfortable viewing what
I consider to be a very private activity.
Cheers, Barbara and Pat