[NatureNS] FW: The poor little deer: Fawn born, orphaned same day -- Herald, Sat., Aug. 5, 2006

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

aritime Noon.
Hi Jim Bob and All
< Much Clipper - see below >
> To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>, NatureNS
> <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
> Cc: Tony Nette <netteal@gov.ns.ca>
> course, the chances of
> these late-born animals surviving may be very low.
> Nature tends to be tough
> on parents to give offspring the best chances of
> survival; relative to the
> kinder seasons.
This of course is one of the paradoxs of Nature. What
may be unkind to the individual is kind to the species
in making the species better adaptable to changing
conditions.
Variable breeding rates are often the result of
inbreeding which of course will result in variation in
a great many other characteristics.
Like buying a 649 ticket, many such as this are clear
loosers but once in a while bingo! - hit the jackpot.
Salmon enter our rivers all months of the year. A
clear winner to allow stocks to take advantage of
conditions. Was that a result of inbreeding a long
time ago? Nobody knows for sure!
Enjoy the summer
Paul