[NatureNS] FW: more on N.S. bluefish from John Gilhen

Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:21:10 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Cc: Anna Redden <anna.redden@acadiau.ca>,

Thanks, John! from Jim and the NatureNS readers!
----------
From: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:36:39 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: Elusive Choppers hit like 'grenade' [Bluefish fishing in N.S.]
- Daily News, Aug. 6/06

Hi Jim;
Thank you for this.
I consider Bluefish, Pomatomus saltatrix, an annual visitor to Nova
Scotia. I was in close contact with Eric Newton and Brian Coolen, Fox
Point, St. Margarets Bay, for most of the 1970s-1980s while they had  4
mackerel traps in the Bay and the Bluefish is one of the species that
came in each year. What I find interesting is there appears to be two
populations. I checked the  juveniles and they have a different gill
raker count than the bigger game fish. If I recall correctly, when I
checked it out, the small fish are from the Florida - Gulf of Mexico and
south to South America, and the big ones are from off the west coast of
Africa. I advised  Bev Scott of this and he mentions the gill raker
counts in Atlantic Fishes of Canada page 371.
Cheers
John

Daily News, Sunday, August 6, 2006

Elusive Choppers hit like 'grenade'

By Joe Fitzgerald
The Daily News

Some things in nature happen like clockwork every year: you can almost
set
your watch to them. Other things are not quite so common, and like an
eclipse, comet, or other stellar event, it may be years before the
opportunity to witness them comes again.

Every so often a fish not common in Nova Scotia waters ventures north,
and
provides a lucky few with a unique angling experience. This year has
brought
bluefish, sometimes known as choppers, to our coast.

Bill Curry, owner and operator of Tight Lines Guide Service in Port
Maitland, is a master professional guide and has fished bluefish for
45
years. He grew up summering in Massachusetts, where bluefish are common
and
fished easily from shore. Nova Scotia is a different matter.

"Timing is the critical thing," says Curry. "The blues need to be
around,
and you'll want to watch for surface commotion or terns and gulls
feeding on
schools of bait to find the bluefish.

"If you see a surface commotion, get right over and cast in the middle,
the
action can be very hot if you hit that condition."

Robbie Hiltz has fished Nova Scotia waters for 20 years, targeting
mostly
trout, salmon, and striped bass, but last week went after bluefish off
Yarmouth with Perry Munro and Rick Morse. With the help of local guide
Hank
Purdy, they were able to get into some choppers.

"They hit the lures like a grenade blowing up on the water," says
Hiltz.
"Great fighters with speed and strength. One jumped five times before
landed him."

The men were using smaller top- water bass baits and medium action
rods,
with 10-pound test line and steel leaders because of the bluefish's
sharp
teeth.

Craving a fight with a chopper, I travelled with my friend Ian to Port
l'Hebert, near the Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct.We waded into some sandy
flats
where we could surf cast. Far out in the channel, a hoard of terns
were
wheeling and screeching, hitting the water. It had to be bluefish. Our
excitement quickly turned to frustration as, without a boat, we could
only
hope the school moved into range. It didn't.
Joe Fitzgerald is a freelance writer living in Halifax.