[NatureNS] FW: The poor little deer: Fawn born, orphaned same day -- Herald, Sat., Aug. 5, 2006

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 07:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jim and All
Although my name isn't Bob, I should like to tell you
of an experience I had many years ago.
I was travelling through Newfoundland and stopped at
Corner Brook for the night. The folks there told me of
a moose calf orphaned in the same way as the fawn. So
I went to DNR to see the animal.
The calf wasn't too healthy and nobody knew what to
do. I suggested they feed it like a dairy calf. They
weren't experienced in that science. So we went to the
store - got some milk - warmed it up and I taught it
to drink as if it was a Holstein heifer calf. It
caught on right away - as I was only passing through I
showed someone what to do. It probably wasn't the best
formula to use but any port in a storm.
The calf grew into a mighty bull and was for years at
a provincial park.
Have a nice summer - teach a moose to drink!
Paul

<http://www.herald.ns.ca/Search/"mailto:mgraham@herald.ca">