[NatureNS] Lichen Brochure?

From: "Andy Dean" <aadean@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 08:11:56 -0300

A little more info
from Queens County Times.

Andy Dean

The Lichens Are Coming!
Launch Of New Lichen Guide
August 5 at  T. Raddall Park
A new four-panel full-colour brochure guide to lichens found on Nova
Scotia's South Shore and throughout much of the province will be introduced
August 5, noon to 4 pm at Thomas Raddall Natural Environment Provincial Park
in East Port L'Hebert.
The event, sponsored by Port Joli Basin Conservation Society, takes place at
the MacDonald House in the park, beginning with a barbecue hotdog and
sausage lunch at noon after which there will be a short information program
followed by guided lichen walks along park trails where lichens abound.
"The Lichens Among Us," written by Frances Anderson, research associate with
Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History, features more than a dozen common
lichens.
It was published by the Society, with financial assistance of private donors
and Region of Queens Municipality.
As part of the information program, ecologist Rob Cameron (Protected Areas
Branch, Environment and Labour) will be on hand to talk about a project
using GIS (map overlays) to locate habitats for rare and endangered lichens.
The Boreal felt lichen, added to Nova Scotia's list of endangered species
last year, has been found near Raddall Park.
Anderson will talk about the new brochure and the South Shore as a
particularly rich area in both numbers and species of this unusual
two-in-one plant.
Admission is free. The only charge is for lunch, modest prices for hotdogs,
sausages, and drinks. Proceeds go to publishing the next brochure in our
series, the first having been a geology guide, "The Rocks Around Us," by
Dalhousie Geology Prof. Barrie Clarke. (Copies on hand at the lichen
launch.)