[NatureNS] Blueberry Bandits

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 20:37:53 -0300

This year looked as if it would be the first one in which my high bush
blueberries would produce a reasonable crop and I was looking forward to it.
We have several varieties planted and the earliest ones attracted a flock of
birds so I had to act. I covered the bushes with black plastic bird netting,
sold for the purpose. The manufacturer states that birds are fearful of
becoming entangled and won't even try to get under it! WELL!! if you believe
that, do I have a deal for you!

They will readily crawl under any tiny hole that opens up by the vagaries of
weather and will do so repeatedly. Once or twice a day I roar out to the
blueberries like an avenging angel and try to scare the daylights out of
whatever is there so that they get flustered and rush into the net. That
part works - I then have to release the frantic birds by hand. Scarred - not
a bit, they usually come right back within a short period of time. So much
for that claim!

I have been very surprised to note the nature of my catches, I had been
expecting, Grackles, Starlings, Robins, Blue Jays etc, possibly even a crow.
Not a bit of it - I have spent all my time releasing Chipping and Song
Sparrows. Not the culprits I would have thought would be raiding my fruit. I
have also seen the local Catbird wandering around the blueberries but not
under the net. I am not sure if he is too smart to be caught or he just
likes to watch the fuss the other birds create - he is certainly amazingly
curious and quite brazen. One other frustration is the fact that right next
to the blueberries is a line of very ripe gooseberries that are not covered.
They seem to be ignored by most birds.

The local number of Nighthawks is slowly increasing, last night we had 15 of
them. They flew over about 7pm, heading towards the Annapolis River. They
returned about 8pm and stayed until about 8:45 feeding over the Walker Brook
area and my home. This time they were high up, and clearly having a lot of
success. I wish they would drop lower and clean up the latest generation of
mosquitoes. I now have more bites than I have had all year.

John Belbin - Kingston