[NatureNS] origin of the word "neap" re tides??

Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 11:07:52 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_copy35DlpJlwgjuvhaRgCw)

Dusan's note reminds me to ask something: does anyone know where the word
"neap" comes from?  I have asked this many times, including to expert Roy
Bishop in Avonport, and nobody seems to know.  I'll bet some know-it-all on
this list can come up with an/the answer?!

My 3-volume Webster's Third Int'l Dictionary says the following:

(a) piece of wood used to hold up the front or the tongue of a wagon;

(b) "neaped" means left aground by the high water of a spring tide -- ???

Thanks in advance for all attempts, from Jim in Wolfivlle