[NatureNS] re:fish ID

From: "Joyce Norris" <whuzzy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:44:56 -0700

Fishes of North America" (1978) I came up with

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C6B65B.5DF00CD0

To add to things - for the heck of it, in addition to Nature-NS, I had =
sent an email to a fellow who runs the Fishbase, an incredibly =
comprehensive database of all things "fishy" at coralreef.com not =
realistically expecting to hear back from him. I had spent four hours on =
fishbase altogether trying to narrow him down. Anyone on the list who =
had asked for pics, I sent them along. I heard from Dr Victor about half =
an hour ago. He thought it was a spotted tinselfish, related to the John =
Dories. I looked at that pic and to me that doesn't look like it, unless =
it is a juvenile for which I haven't seen a picture yet

Chris and John have been very helpful and I think have him narrowed down =
quite well. There is only limited info online about juveniles of these =
species and even fewer photos so it sounds like it will just take a bit =
more looking to sort him out.

I was suprised how much interest this little fish has generated. If I =
had only known HOW INTERESTING he would prove to be, I would have got =
more photos at least. I don't know that I would have thought to capture =
him though.

Thanks everyone for your interest and at least the opinions are all =
pointing toward Dories, so that's good. I am sure when Chris and John =
get a final ID on him that this will be passed on to everyone. I had =
actually looked at both the tinselfish and the dories last night but =
since the only pictures were adults which, other than shape, did not =
much resemble what I saw at Carter's beach so I remained puzzled as to =
just what he was.

Joyce
------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C6B65B.5DF00CD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word; khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
khtml-line-break: after-white-space"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To add to things - for the heck of it, =
in addition=20
to Nature-NS, I had sent an email to a fellow who runs =
the&nbsp;Fishbase, an=20
incredibly comprehensive database of all things "fishy"&nbsp;at =
coralreef.com=20
not realistically expecting to hear back from him. I had spent four =
hours on=20
fishbase altogether trying to narrow him down. Anyone on the list who =
had asked=20
for pics, I sent them along. I heard from Dr Victor about half an hour =
ago. He=20
thought it was a <FONT color=3D#000080>spotted tinselfish, related to =
the John=20
Dories. I looked at that pic and to me that doesn't look like it, unless =
it is a=20
juvenile for which I haven't seen a picture yet</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chris and John have been very helpful =
and I think=20
have him narrowed down quite well. There is only limited info online =
about=20
juveniles of these species and even fewer photos so it sounds like it =
will just=20
take a bit more looking to sort him out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was suprised how much interest this =
little fish=20
has generated. If I had only known HOW INTERESTING he would prove to be, =
I would=20
have got more photos at least. I don't know that I would have thought to =
capture=20
him though.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks everyone for your interest and at least the opinions are all =

pointing toward Dories, so that's good. I am sure when Chris and John =
get a=20
final ID on him that this will be passed on to everyone. I had actually =
looked=20
at both the tinselfish and the dories last night but since the only =
pictures=20
were adults which, other than shape, did not much resemble what I saw at =

Carter's beach so&nbsp;I remained puzzled as to just what he was.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Joyce</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C6B65B.5DF00CD0--