[NatureNS] Fish ID

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:06:39 EDT
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

-------------------------------1154516799

Joyce, you may have found an immature lookdown fish. They are silvery  white,
very flat and the young ones have the distinctive thread from the dorsal  fin
which they lose as they grow. They also have a very distinctive head shape.
They are a member of the jack family and I occasionally catch one in Florida.
I  have never seen one here but have caught other Jacks so it's possible they
could  show up. The other fish which come to mind are the threadfin shads and
herring  but they are not very flat.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

-------------------------------1154516799

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2912" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Joyce, you may have found an immature lookdown fish. They are silvery=20
white, very flat and the young ones have the distinctive thread from the dor=
sal=20
fin which they lose as they grow. They also have a very distinctive head sha=
pe.=20
They are a member of the jack family and I occasionally catch one in Florida=
. I=20
have never seen one here but have caught other Jacks so it's possible they c=
ould=20
show up. The other fish which come to mind are the threadfin shads and herri=
ng=20
but they are not very flat.</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Hubbards&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>