[NatureNS] Todays findings and report for the record.

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:05:59 +0000

David Walmark and I took a jaunt out and about today.  Our grandest find was
running into a nice group of warblers and other species at Clearland.  This
was along the rail trail there and there is a grape vine at this location
which is loaded with the fruit.  It has gone up a cedar tree which is about
30 feet high.  This sort of thing is extremely rare to see here and this is
the location where all of the bird species were centered about.  For me this
is the largest grape vine I have ever seen growing out in the wild.
Warblers present were one black-throated green, a Nashville Warbler, an
ovenbird, five Northern parulas, at least five chestnut-sided warblers, and
American redstart, three black and white warblers and there were various
other species with this group.  Of note at the end of Second Peninsula were
88 barn swallows.

The report for the record is a bird which unfortunately did not stay around.
  It visited the pond of a man at Camperdown who has a daughter who is a
birder.  I found out about it to late to make a trip to confirm it and no
one else saw it but the man, so this is only for the record.  The bird in
question was supposedly a king rail.  The description sounds good, so I
would say that it was.  Again this is only for the record or for interests
sake.

The Eastern Bluebird male had three of the youngsters lines up today on the
shed roof and was feeding them suet.  The fourth young bird fledged the nest
box shortly after.

James R. Hirtle
Lunenburg