URGENT:PESTICIDE BYLAW HEARINGS BEGIN MAY 23

Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:11:27 -0300
From: johnkaren pearce <jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: Maureen Reynolds <ax168@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

May 15, 2000
3 or 4 days ago, I had a call from an Angus Reid pollster.  She asked what
problems I thought were most important currently in HRM.  Using my
Transport 2000 hat I noted urban sprawl, commuter rail, and the newly
planned downtown parking garage.  Then the questioner moved to ask me
if I thought the pesticide legislation in HRM was important.  I said yes. I
was asked if I thought I understood the details and some excerpts were
quoted.  The implication seemed to be that I didn't really know enough to
support an outright ban.  I took a tough (stubborn) stand saying I was
"strongly" opposed to pesticides.  The there was a discussion about
insecticides and fungicides for gardens and rose bushes and shouldn't I
be able to look after my own plans as I saw fit. The survey took on a
biassed aspect.
The survey was supposed to last 10 minutes I was told at the start.
After 22 minutes, I called a halt to the whole thing.  I kept getting queried
about whether I REALLY understood the issue.  My sense clearly
indicated that the Angus Reid poll was being sponsored by lawn care
firms, but unfortunately I decided the pollster would not likely disclose the
sponsor.
My suggestion is that some supporters of anti-pesticide legislation might
want to take legal means (if such are available) to find who is sponsoring
the survey and perhaps analyze the focus or slant of the questions.
John Pearce, Transport 2000.

Sponsors: Chebucto Community Net   	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
Sierra Club - Chebucto Group		http://www.sierraclub.ca
Volunteer moderator: Paul Falvo  mailto:sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca