WW: Global Temps Jump Off Chart (fwd)

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:59:14 -0800
From: John/Karen Pearce <jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: Daniel Haran <ah813@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

John Pearce wrote:  Remember that the biggest contribution to global
warming is from fossil fuels used in transportation. What are we doing
about it?
-building and widening more roads (with tax money that could be used for
health care and education)
-allowing longer and heavier trucks to drive farther and faster each day
-buying sport utility vehicles and large vans instead of energy efficient
compact cars
-cutting government support for transit (cutting routes), interurban bus
service (deregulation), and VIA Rail (privatizing of the network)
-encouraging urban sprawl, country living, and suburban shopping
complexes with gigantic parking lots which can only be reached by auto
-offering subsidized parking for university students and free parking for
 most employees everywhere, while refusing to subsidize bus passes
-etc. etc.