birds, pesticides & environmental groups

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:37:15 -0400 (AST)
From: Daniel Haran <ah813@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Island Nature Trust <intrust@isn.net>
cc: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Island Nature Trust wrote:

> While I do not wish to enter a lengthy debate, I would like to add a
> few words:
> Island Nature Trust was formed in 1979 for the *sole* purpose of
> protecting - through purchase, lease or agreement with private
> landowners - areas of identified ecological importance on PEI.  We
> have never been nor claimed to be an advocacy group, nor do we fund
> raise on that basis.  You may feel our mandate is too narrow, but
> this focus has allowed us to protect many of our priority sites.

I simply can't understand that kind of stance. I'm assuming that
protecting land is not an end in itself, but is for some larger goal of
environmental protection. Otherwise, please tell us what makes a site a
"priority site"- is it aesthetics?

What I find rather odd is that you would refuse to even look at the
evidence that indicate that your work may be futile. After all, what is
the value of protecting land from development if it is only to be ravaged
by chemical intrusion?

Now, I don't know all the facts in this situation, and I'm not ready to
say that your group is a poseur. But if you are not willing to assess your
efficacy in light of new facts, you will sooner or later become
counter-productive.

Peace-

Daniel.