To Hell with Shell ... :)

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:26:34 -0300 (ADT)
From: "David M. Wimberly" <ag487@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sid Tan <sidtan@vcn.bc.ca>
cc: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>, Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>, stoffer.p@parl.gc.ca

With your interest in the harmful activities of Shell, you will be quite
interested in knowing how even the product they are developing here in
Nova Scotia is harmful.  Natural gas use indoors has been documented by
the most experienced doctors in the field of Environmental Illness/
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity as the single greatest cause of this
illness in the clinical histories of 47,000 patients.

The clinics these patient histories come from were in Chicago and
Huston, where natural gas has long been widely used.  But patients
traveled to these clinics from across the US and Canada.  Particularly
problematic is using gas for cooking, but any gas use *INSIDE* the shell
of buildings where people live or work puts health at risk.

Environmental Illness/Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is one of the fastest
growing illness and is typically under reported as many doctors have not
been trained in how to recognize it.  Citizens of Atlantic Canada already
have extremely high rates of EI/MCS and would suffer if natural gas is
added to the mix of pollutants they already are exposed to.  Allergy and
Environmental Health Association-Canada passed a resolution at its last
Annual General Meeting calling for a moratorium on all new distribution
of natural gas.

The environmental assessment of the Shell project to take Sable gas
refused adamantly to even consider the harmful effects of the use of that
gas.  The assessment panel claimed that was outside their mandate.  But
no other assessment is planned, so the adverse effects of the actual USE
of the gas will never be assessed.  This is a major, shocking deficiency
in our laws and environmental protections.

For more information please consult the web site at:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/6847/
or contact me.

I could send you an article I wrote on the subject if you might be able
to use it.

Keep up your protests.  This should give you one more important matter to
protest to add to the litany of faults of Shell.  EI/MCS is quite a
problem with the Agoni people, among the many health problems form the
Shell activities.  Please give this information on EI/MCS to all of the
contacts and protesters you can.

Our group strongly opposed the Shell project at the assessments here in NS.

Hope you find this of interest. Thank you.

                                   David Wimberly
                                ag487@chebucto.ns.ca
                                Halifax, Nova Scotia
                     http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/6847/
        "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us.
        When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
                use it with love and respect."   (Aldo Leopold)