No incoming mail

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:36:14 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Jim Rice <jrice@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Jim. Userhelp is manned by volunteers and these volunteers are
not the same people who administer Chebucto. There are two of us currently
administering Chebucto, me for the simpler tasks and account admin and a
fellow named Johnathan who is the true sysadmin.

 	For the past year and a half, Chebucto has not had sufficient
funds to pay for two staff people so Johnathan's sysadmin tasks are being
done on a volunteer basis by him in addition to his own fulltime and then
some job elsewhere.

 	We've had two kinds of email glitch over the past few months. Our
main mail server, which we are in the process of replacing with new gear,
locks up every now and again, and one of the spam filtering servers can
lock up and need restarting.

 	The main mail server glitch requires one of us to physically come
into the office and reboot the machine. Typically these outages now last
less than thirty minutes - the time it takes to get the page and get to
the office.

 	The second type of glitch is much harder to detect - this past
weekend for example I too did not have missing mail and I am on several
high traffic non-Chebucto mailing lists. So I like Richard noticed nothing
wrong. I did have a couple of emails from users that there may be an issue
and saw that one of the filtering servers had been restarted early Monday
with a very small queue of mail from it delivered within an hour of the
restart. In other words, Johnathan had detected the issue and corrected
it as soon as he had. The spam filtering servers are pretty robust so they
pull this sort of trick infrequently.

 	As to what can we do about things, we're doing what we can. We
have spent a great deal of money on new twin mail servers. These are in
the process of being configured and should allow us trouble free mail for
years to come. The spam filtering server issues will also be addressed in
time.

 	Most of our issues are of short duration so by the time we were to
get a notice up about an issue, it's usually been resolved and generates
confusion where some people think a resolved problem is still active (with
all the fun that entails).

 	There could be better communication between userhelp volunteers
and system adminstrators but the issue there is adding to the workload of
an already hard worked volunteer. So we carry on with what we have.

 	You now know more about Chebucto mail than you probably wanted to
but it's important to understand that we're always doing everything we can
for our users and that each year we're having to deliver more services,
and more reliability with fewer and fewer resources.