sign in problems

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:36:42 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: John Dennis Elliott <ap721@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi John,

    Set your modem speed down to 1200 baud to see if you can connect and
see your screen.  If that works, log off and set your modem to 2400 baud
and see if that connects successfully.  Set it to 9600 baud and do the
same.  These are all non-compressed speeds and may work for you.

    Once you set it to 14,400 bps or 19,200 bps, you're moving into
compressed data territory and connections get trickier.  Keep raising your
speed until you can no longer connect and get your screen.  Once you reach
that level, back down one step and you should have a reasonably fast
connection.  Your reu may be acting or intercepting the signal somehow.
Try the process above to see if it helps.

    I'm glad to see the chip-reseating trick worked.  You might be able to
get all your C64s working that way.  Really fussy hobbyists would
carefully lift each chip out of its socket and scrape the oxide build-up
off each leg (inside and out) with a small pen knife to ensure a solid
connection.  I find the chip-reseat by pressing down works for me.

Tony @ CCN Help