Chebucto Problems Persist

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:03:29 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Alexander E. Mackinnon" <ar688@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca, office@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Sandy,

    As I said, you can turn it off and on using a control panel located
down on the lower righthand side of your Start bar, where the clock
resides.

    There should be a little icon for it and, if you run your mouse pointer
over the icon, a little name tag should appear called S&D.  Clicking it on
that icon brings up the little control panel which will allow you to
either disable it permanently (SpyBot will be still there for manual
checks) or to, temporarily, turn it off, if it is causing too much of a
slowdown in your system at that point.

    The biggest problem with the internet at large, today, is that so many
sites use javascript.  Years ago, material on web pages were 'static',
meaning that website creators put the actual content you see, as code on
those sites.  Today, much of what is on web pages is 'dynamic', which
means the material isn't on the page itself, but is dynamically created to
suit your web browser, your country of origin, your native language, what
capabilities your computer has etc, based on the information that cookies
sent to your computer garner, and return to the various websites in
question.

    That can allow good websites to build pages just for you.  It can also
allow bad websites to manipulate your system for their purposes.  Bad
websites can toy with your system as you view the pages, even if you're
not visiting those sites, in particular.  If the page you're viewing has a
banner or an active link to another site, your browser will auto load
information from those other sites, in order to make it quicker for you to
load those pages, if you so desire.  That opens the browser to hidden
attacks from malicious pages using hidden javascript and those attacks
usually target the registry.

    This is the main reason the makers of SpyBot decided to create the
Registry Minder part of SpyBot, because this is now one of the greatest
weaknesses in many browsers.  SpyBot now runs watch over any and all
incoming registry instructions and asks you to approve or deny anything
that attempts to make changes.  If you don't know what is attempting to
make a change and you're not in the process of installing new software,
then it's wise to deny the change and SpyBot will shut down the attempt
right there and then.  New software installation will trigger the alerts
too but if you see that the software is attempting to make adjustments to
your registry, then you can tell SpyBot to allow the change.

   Fortunately, the good websites outnumber the bad websites by a large
margin but it's always good to be safe.

CCN Help