Assistance Needed

Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:02:15 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Robert Douglas <at492@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Rob,

    Phone line interference, bad connections or a number of other factors
can cause the effect you describe.  Since we have had no other complaints
re: faulty connections, we have to treat your case as an exception rather
than a general system problem.

    Internet transmission (including connecting to CCN) is all a matter of
hisses, clicks, pops and screeches (the language of modems) and so
unfortunately, phone line noise, call waiting beeps, someone picking up an
extension, telephone company work in your area, bad weather etc...can all
contribute to noises interpreted by the system.

    The noisier the static on the phone line, the harder it is for your or
CCN's modem to 'hear' the other one and so the modems will slow down to a
lower rate which allows them to hear each other better.  It's the modem
equivalent of speaking slower, if someone has a hard time of hearing you
or making out what you're saying.

    First of all, try a full reboot of your computer.  See if that
restores the speed.  Next, check your phone line connection where the
cord plugs into the wall.  Blow out any dust.  Listen to your dial tone
and then tap your hang up button to make your phone line quiet.  Listen to
see if you have a quiet line or if there is a lot of hum and static on
your phone line once the dial tone is stopped.

    If you live in an apartment building, it's possible the connection from
the street to the building may have become faulty - check with the other
tenants in your building to see if they, too, are experiencing problems with
the phone line.  Call the phone company to see if there have been any other
reports of line problems in your immediate area that may contribute to your
problem.  As well, they should be able to tell you if there is work
currently being performed in your area.  Bad weather, such as freezing
rain on wires and connections, can also cause this effect.

    Ensure that no other programs start using your resources on your
computer while you're online.  Viruses, adware, spyware, malware all like
to use the internet connection to send data back to their creators or to
replicate by sending copies of themselves to names found in your email
addressbook.

    Let us know if any of these suggestions has helped you or if you need
clarification of anything.  Also, if it continues, let us know.  It may
clear up with your next reboot or tomorrow.

Tony @ CCN Help