486 in text mode set up

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:01:26 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: John Dennis Elliott <ap721@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi John,

    Are you dialing the correct number?  It is 494-8006 and not 494-6744,
which is the PLUS service number.  Dialing into the wrong number may
cause the effect you're noticing (the greyed-out options), as HT might be
presuming that you are telnetting into the text service from the PLUS side
rather than dialing in directly.

    PuTTy and network dial-up are both looking for a TCP/IP signal to
connect.  CCN's text service uses terminal emulation through direct
dial-up and not TCP/IP which is what PLUS uses.  You would need a PLUS
account to access the TCP/IP and network stuff.  Text service dial-up is
a totally different area (and phone number) which is why PuTTy isn't
working here.

    PLUS dial-up uses 494-6744 and looks for a TCP/IP signal on the other
end to complete the connection.  The text service uses 494-8006 and just
looks for a simple ACK/NACK response from CCN.  if you're dialing PLUS and
trying to connect to the text service directly, it will fail because they
are two different protocols.  If you have a PLUS account ($125. per year
for graphical/text), then you can use PuTTy to telnet over to the text
service.

    The text service system ($25. per year) allows everyone to easily
connect whether you're running a C64/128 (via NovaTerm 9.5), an Apple
II/GS (via ProTerm 3.1), an Amiga (via Term), an Atari XE/ST (via ICE-T
and Flash 1.60, respectively), a TI99/4A (via Terminal), a TRS80 (via
LTerm), a CoCo (via CoCoTerm), a KayPro II (via MDM7 and RobinCom) and
even a Timex Sinclair (via TimexTerm).  (...and I've connected with all of
these systems; being the hobbyist that I am).  :-)

    If all else fails, we have Telix in our PDA which is a great terminal
program for DOS/Windows.  You can download a copy directly from:

                     www.chebucto.ca/Services/PDA

    Go to to DOS or Windows sections and then Communications programs.  If
you unable to retrieve this program yourself, you could call the office
(at 494-2449 weekdays between 1pm and 5pm) and they might be able to make
you a disk copy.

Tony @ CCN Help