File access for download??

Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:29:27 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Ben Fullerton <benf@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Ben,

    Previously, email folders existed on 'halifax', the core text service
machine which is why ftp worked as it simply looked at your text account
and grabbed the stuff from there.  The email is now residing on a whole
different computer with a much larger storage space and PINE calls it over
to your account (the same as does POP, IMap etc) when it's needed to be
read but doesn't create a local copy unless you tell it to e)xport it
there, at which time, a local copy is then created in your home/ files
directory.  You can e)xport whole directories in this manner, if you wish,
which is what I do.

    Once a week, I will take everyting that I've saved in a special email
directory called 'download' and simply highlight and e)xport the entire
download directory to my files/ folder.  I will then delete all the emails
in the download directory in the email account once I've ftp'ed the
download directory material in files/ safely down to my computer and know
that I can now safely delete the online version.  It may be an extra step
but the result as similar.

    Another easier option may be to use a specific email program such as
Thunderbird or Free Agent to retrieve any and all email messages.  You
can set various options such as 'leave everything in the account after
downloading', delete all email after safely downloading', delete only what
I've selected to delete', move things around etc.  These programs can
also decode attachments and allow you to view them as soon as they're
downloaded, and without having to use another program.

    Outlook Express (included with Windows) does the same thing but has
been found to be very unsecure which is why the two I've suggested above
work better.  These can be set up much like an ftp program.  There is
currently no direct route for the ftp program to use to get to the current
mail folders due to their physically residing on a different computer.

Tony @ CCN Help