slowdown problems

Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:16:00 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: John Dennis Elliott <ap721@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi John,

  I connect fine using my C64 with no slowdowns but I'm in Halifax.
You're still in Truro, I believe.  There could be any number of work
projects on phone lines from Truro to Halifax and that is the biggest
factor in connecting over any long distance.  Your connection to Australia
is probably going over lines heading in the other direction and isn't
suffering from the same problems.

   There are several other C64 users connecting to CCN Lynx on dial-up,
all with no reported problems.  Your connection difficulties will,
hopefully, clear up soon.  You might call the phone company to see if they
are doing any work on lines heading to Halifax.  If they are, they
may be able to give you a timeframe for expecting improvements in the
service.  Other than that, I can't suggest any other fixes.

   You mention a 28,800bps modem.  Can I presume you have the necessary
REU to cache the pages and data until the C64 catches up with the
increased speed of the data transferred?  I find that, above 19,200, some
of the older systems will overwrite pages onscreen and lose some data, if
the onboard ram isn't up to caching the increased data stream from CCN.
Backed up data could stall a connection as data bits knock heads trying to
get into the computer.

CCN Help