Proposed change to CCN template

Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 12:55:38 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Douglas J. McCann" <aa935@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-webmaster@chebucto.ns.ca, Editors@chebucto.ns.ca, Donna Randell <drandell@chebucto.ns.ca>, "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>

&gt; &gt; &gt; discussion....
Hi David

Further to my previous message, there are other design considerations that
should be addressed.  The new template does not take advantage of other
browser functions that would improve the overall appearance and
functionality of the web page.

Hover functions.
Graphics and other objects can display additional information when the
cursor 'hovers' over the object. See
  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Chebucto/webmaster/vLink2.htm

-When the cursor hovers over the CCN logo it displays the message "Serving
Your Community's Online Needs".

-Over the Preferences object the cursor causes the message "Click to defer
to browser defaults" to appear.

For more elaborate messages, cursor control (style function) can change
the cursor from an arrow to a question mark. On click, an alert box can be
displayed, or a new informational page displayed.

-Over the title "Chebucto Community Net" the cursor changes to a (?).
Clicking on the title launches a popup window providing CCN details.

-Over the title "Webmaster" the cursor changes to a (?).  Clicking on the
title displays an alert box.

Default Background
This discussion began with allowing users to take advantage of their own
browser vlink and link defaults.  However, there are other browser
defaults such as text size and background colour.

If users have selected a background colour that is non-white, then our
page turns ugly. Various areas have table cells, where the background
colour is set to white. For example, in vlink.htm set the background
colour to grey. Then try the same thing in vLink2.htm.

   http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Chebucto/webmaster/vLink.htm

   http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Chebucto/webmaster/vLink2.htm

The solution to this problem is to not force cell background colour.

      <TD bgColor=#ffffff height=29 width=477>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
       <!--second row-->

      <TD                 height=29 width=477>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
      <!--second row-->

Transparent Gifs
To correct for background colours and gif files, the gif background colour
must be set to transparent.

So, while on the surface the new template looks good, there are many
design elements that were not considered before implementation.  I think
it is incumbant on all our volunteers to review the template and present
their observations.  Otherwise, we will be continuously 'adjusting' the
template, and redoing past efforts.

Doug McCann