Our IP's & Policy..? dir ! index.html

Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:08:59 -0300 (ADT)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-webmaster@chebucto.ns.ca, editors@chebucto.ns.ca, murdoch@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Doug,

The standard response of the webserver to list the files in a
directory when no "default page" exists, has been a _feature_ of the
WWW since its earliest days.  CCN has long accepted that as the
normal way for things to be operated.

Chebucto supports several different versions of default page,
index.html, index.htm, maybe even index.shtml (?)
Home.html, Home.htm,
I'm not sure if there are any others, its part of the Apache
configuration, and can be changed as needed.

By the way, there is no way to force, or even invoke, a default page
other than the directory listing for such a request using the
file://localhost access of the Lynx browser - Lynx doesn't know how
to do it.

I don't understand why you would want to give an error message
to a user who happened into a directory without such a default page.
This seems to be a very anti-social kind of default.  We want to
make it easier for our IP users to build their websites, not force
them to do extra checking to make sure unexpected error messages
aren't foisted on viewers.  In my view your "employer"'s default is
a paranoid response of an organization that doesn't really trust its
professionals.

Of course, if there are files in some area that should not be
accessed, then it is appropriate that steps be taken to control
access.  Whether that simply means hiding the directory listing (and
leaving the document accessible in case it is linked from elsewhere)
or taking steps to substitute up-to-date information, or archiving
the document in question in a place without public access, or
removing it altogether, or putting password access controls in
place, is for the individual site editor to determine, and if it is
a CCN document, then the CCN Webmaster would logically have some
input in that question.  Since CCN is a volunteer driven
organization, I would not expect there to be anyone who should be
able to absolutely enforce such a policy unless one could argue that
it is essential to the effective functioning of the organization.

BUT, if you are concerned that a certain subset of our site, that is
under direct control of the CCN, e.g. the Helpdesk, the Policy area,
or the newsletter... we could build a script that would periodically
(or on request) crawl such a tree and report any directories that
don't have any of the standard default pages.  Human intervention
could then be applied to build pages where needed.  Direct feedback,
rather than having to manually test every directory!

Now that I think of it, this could even be a tool we could make
available for the IP's too.

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN Postmaster
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa146/    W 426-4894  CSuite Technical Workshop
Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca