list owner stuff

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:39:26 -0300 (ADT)
From: < @chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>, editors@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Mark,

   A shell account is currently required to create symlinks.  Tech Michael
Smith was going to devise a Lynxable symlink creator (much like the
file permissions changer) but we envisioned (feared!) potentially
thousands (millions?) of symlinks going everywhere and the ensuing
server usage and performance hit, not to mention the tons of broken links
when people would simply wipe out their various pages yet leave the
symlinks there to confound visitors.  The Internet is full of those right
now.