list owner stuff

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:31:03 -0400
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: editors@chebucto.ns.ca

(this was originally a direct reply, but after writing it I thought
it would be relevant to all editors)

David Potter wrote:
>I've not followed the roll-out, is there a problem with Lynx and
>the *.shtml pages...?

Hi David,... no, problem with my understanding of how things work!

I have extensively revised the Volunteer Cttee webpages.  During
testing phase, I simply duplicated the filenames, with my new
versions being distinct only in that they have the  .shtml  extension.

I had (have!) no idea how the server knows what to serve up:  If you
hit the directory directly (i.e. /Chebucto/Volunteers/ ) then the
index.html  (old) file would load.   The old "Committees" section of
the "about.shtml" page also pointed directly to the
/Volunteers/index.html    page.

I didn't know what the methodology was to force a redirection to the
new  index.shtml  file... though through trial and error I see that
the server automatically loads the   .shtml   in the absence of any
.html  so no problem.  I had thought that there was some
techie-voodoo stuff that had to happen.

Andrew told me to "just put in a symlink"  ... what the hell's a
symlink?  Perhaps we should have a one-day "how to" workshop for the
Area Editors, put on by the tech cttee ?  Wouldn't that transfer of
knowledge be nice?  (I'm thinking dynamite & matches in the hands of
monkeys).

Um.... did that answer your question?

ciao,
Mark