New JNF site

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:45:07 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: "Michael J. Cormier" <mcormier@nsaccess.ns.ca>
cc: Diane Cooper <ag151@chebucto.ns.ca>, editors@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi folks,

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Michael J. Cormier wrote:

> 	Yes it seems to be graphical browser only orientated with not
> alt text tags, Chris, should we still add a link even if it's lynx
> unfriendly?

The policy in the past has been thus:

1) For CCN sites we required the sites to be at least minimally
Lynx-friendly. What this meant has evolved somewhat since, for instance,
at one time Lynx was completely unable to deal with Frames, but now it has
some ability to do so (frame by frame). Certainly ATL tags for
sites that use graphics for navigation are helpful. Although we seldom
rigorously policed this, most CCN sites seem to have complied.

2) For non-CCN sites (to which we provided links) the notion was that we
inclined towards including those that were Lynx-friendly but (this being
an individual editor's perogative depending on how worthwhile/not the
resource was) we could include links to non-Lynx-friendly sites.

Having said this, this policy was formulated at a time when all CCN users
used a text-only interface. Now, when we support a significant proportion
(10% ?) proportion of CCN PPP users I would think this rationale has grown
progressively looser. Also that there are many sites (like the one
inquestion here) that are fundamentally conceived as audio-visual ones for
whom a text-only interface is simply irrelevant because much of the
content is photos, sound.

As to this site, I've looked through it, and it's not too bad. There is
significant content there (really more geared towards children). Whether
or not anyone using our system would really be looking for such a resource
is a moot point.

Diane, it's your call. ;-> My own view might be that, given that your
Heritage pages are principally directed to an adult audience (and this
site is a kind of kid's educational one) it might not be that germane to
include a link there.

N.B. This may perhaps underscore the point, that amongst our materials we
haven't really developed a childrens section. Perhaps something for the
future? Any volunteers? ;->

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957