Page Templates

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 23:58:13 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>, Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>, CCN Technical Committee <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Andrew D. Wright wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2000, Christopher Majka wrote:
>
> > I just tried it with this document and <p align="center"> aligns the table
> > perfectly.
>
> 	No, it doesn't. I did try this before sending a response (and of
> course while testing the template in the first place).
>
> 	Internet Explorer 5 for Windows 98 will center the table, but
> Netscape 4.72 for Windows 98 (and also Netscape for Linux) does not. I
> don't have any other browsers in the office to test this on, but the
> current template was tested on everything I could get my hands on.

Well I tried the template (using <p align="center"> ) with both Internet
Explorer 4.5 and Netscape 4.7 (on the Macintosh platform) with no
rendering difficulties.

> > Indeed, but the point of deprecated tags is that support for them in
> > future browser versions is planned to be dropped entierly. Given that
> > there are already mechnisms that can do the job [ <p align="center"> and
> > <Table align="center"> ] that are HTML 4.0 compliant whereas <center> is
> > not and is almost guaranteed not to work correctly at some point in the
> > future, so why not do it right? Moreover it would seem that for something
> > as fundamental as this template we should set an example and be as correct
> > as possible.
>
> 	The whole idea of doing up the bulk of the pages on Chebucto with
> Server Side Includes (SSI) is so we can revise the template as necessary.
> The current template was adequately tested and needs no correcting at this
> time.
>
> 	About the idea of using only "proper" HTML, it's a fine sounding
> idea, but (a) W3C, the standard bearers for this have got to have the most
> tedious and boring looking pages on the web (though technically "correct")
> and (b) all we really need to do is look good in recent era MSIE and
> Netscape, be clear and legible in Lynx and not be too much of a dog's
> breakfast for any other browsers. "Deprecated" tags are only garbage when
> the top two browsers drop them. If and when they do, we can revise
> accordingly.

We can indeed. In my view its also a good thing (where possible) to lead
by example (for our users and IPs) and employ coding that adheres to
current
international standards.

Best wishes,

Christopher Majka

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957