Process question

Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:39:45 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Bob Adams <bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca>
cc: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>, Mark Ronald Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>, editors@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Bob,

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Bob  Adams wrote:

> Michael Smith wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 6 May 2000, Mark Ronald Rushton wrote:
> >
> > > Do we have an option for web=editors to have simply an FTP
> > > username/password (like the new PPP dialups have) that does not rely on a
> > > CCN user account for an FTP- "pass-through"?
> >
> > We could create an ip-nnnn account for each ip-nnnn group, with a shell
> > that only allows FTP access.
>
> Would this be a single account and password assigned to the IP?  Would 3
> or 4 Editors for that IP all use the same account and password whenever
> they have the urge to FTP new material?
>
> Since this might be the only CCN user account connected to the IP,
> how would CCN keep track of who the editor is? How to reach them, where to
> direct refused mail or attempts to subscribe to IP email list?
>
> Who would receive notices, bills, etc. from CCN?
>
> Wuld we do all this using the Editor's own external email address?
> Formerly we always required a legal CCN user account.
>
> One problem now is that someone taking out a CCN account to use only to
> FTP does not know how to log on and go in to forward e-mail to their
> regular account. Or, could they also change the mailf forward settign
> and password by FTPing those files into their FTP account?
>
> Just some questions that come to mind?

These are all good points. David Potter has such a system up and running
in beta-test. The notion (if I understand it correctly) would be that such
an FTP-only account would be given (say) to a website designer _in
addition_ to a regular CCN account which would be held by (say) the
administrator of the IP (who would continue to serve in all the regular IP
contacts roles on the CCN). The idea was to accomodate sites in which the
page designer is just that, a contracted (or volunteer) designer who has
no other role in relation to the IP organization.

Having said this, the current efforts underway to completely dismantle the
IP structures which we have in place leave me wondering as to what role or
place anything will have on the CCN in the future. In that context I'm not
sure that the above will satisfy any of the concerns that you have raised.

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957