Page Updates...

Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 02:41:39 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: editors@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Sat, 6 May 2000,   wrote:

> Unfortunately it's not just bookmarks that will break as some pages are
> cross-indexed all over the place.  Actually a whole lot of pages.  We're
> going to have a massive pile of broken pages for quite some time unless we
> can move into shtml quickly.

Here is what I am recommending, after making the necessary changes to
httpd.conf.

* Create the new files with .shtml extensions.
* Make a list of .html files that can be removed. I will remove them and
  replace them with symlinks to the .shtml files.

I checked whether we could just make somefile.html a symlink to
somefile.shtml and have Apache process requests for somefile.html through
SSI, and it won't do it.

So the modifications I've made to httpd.conf will redirect HTTP requests
for *.html to *.shtml as necessary, and the symlinks will allow Lynx to
follow internal, file://localhost/... links that haven't been updated to
point to the new file.

Eventually all internal documents pointing to a file will be updated to
point to .shtml, and we can remove the symlink.

Does all this sound right?

> As I mentioned to Michael in a previous note, the shtml template has some
> things hardcoded into the sub-sections that need to be changed for each
> document by the editor.

I think there is one optional <title> tag for Lynx in
file://localhost/... mode, and the navigation line (Home >> wherever) that
need to be updated in each file.

> The coloring, font styples and sizes are also different that the html
> template.

The only problem with the template was one font size, which has been
fixed.