Page Updates...

Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 20:06:07 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: editors@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Sat, 6 May 2000,   wrote:

> So is the template.shtml ready to go - approval-wise?

I'd wait to hear back from someone other than me, but I think it's ready
to go.

> Should I start using it right now instead of template.html?  Do I need
> to use any of the other .shtml files or is everything the editor
> currently needs in the template.shtml?  I need to know if I'm to
> proceed further.

Everything you need is in /csuite/info/template.shtml.

Where you see
<!-- template.shtml,v 1.2 2000/05/03 01:19:59 michael Exp -->
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

please use
<!-- $Id$ -->
which will show the actual filename in View Source. The point of all the
$Id$ comments is that someone looking for a bug in the HTML markup will be
able to tell which part of the source is coming from which included file,
just by looking through the View Source window in their browser.

You'll need to give the new files .shtml extensions instead of .html. This
means links to those files will also change. I can think of two ways
around this:
a) Configure Apache to do SSI processing on all *.html files, in
   addition to *.shtml (may increase system load somewhat)
b) Remove extraneous *.html files; set a mod_rewrite handler on the
   appropriate directories (/csuite/info/Help, etc.) to redirect *.html to
   *.shtml if a corresponding .shtml file exists.

I think the second option will work best, so please name the new files
with .shtml extensions, and fix what links you can, and if we end up not
going that way I'll do a batch change in the other direction.

After looking at a couple of the pages you've updated following
(non-SSI) template.html, you seem to have left enough of the comments and
such in that I can probably write a script to change them to follow
template.shtml.

I don't know about the other files, which haven't been touched
yet. There's enough variety in the way they're marked up that a batch
conversion to the SSI style would have mixed results.

Michael