Call for new script

Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:48:16 -0300 (ADT)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca, "deveau, leo j. -- leo j. deveau" <ljdeveau@glinx.com>, editors@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi David and all!

Whether we choose to use the UNIX quota system or not, we have a
specific problem that needs to be addressed.

[and I agree that there are issues that we have not fully explored,
and that there are probably ways to achieve the desired result,
which is a successfully functioning collection of websites]

The issues, as I see them:

(1) The board has chosen a model for "new-style" information
providers that involves a scheme for selling disk space.

(2) We are not in a position to bill IP's after-the-fact, until and
unless we build a data-collection system to track usage, and an
automated charge-card billing system.  We would incur costs far too
high for the revenue at issue with a manual billing and collection
system.

(3) We can offer selected levels of disk-space paid-in-advance

(4) For both PPP and newIP users, we don't have a ready way to
(proactively) advise users of their quota status - they have to know
its an issue, and go seeking out the information.  We need a way to
advise them of the problem, and offer useful suggestions i.e.
subscribe to more space [to CCN's advantage] (or clean up what you
have [possibly to user's advantage])

(5) There is a problem to the IP if their quota fills up - parts of
their website may break.  Filling up may be as a result of
installing new files, archiving old files - and RCS :-), output of
CGI's, core files, Pine folders, etc. etc.

(6) There is a problem to CCN, and other IP's, if the webspace
partition fills up, so if some users choose to fill up unreasonable
space, by accident (e.g. a CGI gone wrong) or intent (needed to add
more content.)  So CCN may act responsibly by limiting a user's
impact on others.

(7) The total "quota" that has been allocated is normally
significantly larger than the space that is actually in use, and we
can assume a reasonable fill percentage based on experience.  It is
OK to "overbook the system" as long as we keep track of it and are
able to respond when more space is actually needed.

(8) We can "soft-track" disk space needs by having a script which
periodically (perhaps daily or hourly - Michael Smith reminded us
that there is already a system in place that handles part of this.)

(9) That script could use e-mail as a reporting method, to send
(selected) users the promotional message that they should buy more
space :)  It needs to be cognizant of the problems that happen with
filled mailboxes (and I'm not at all sure whether it should monitor
mailbox space - but that's a separate issue - except as to
deliverability of the report.)

(10) If we feel it is important to protect the system from users,
and at the same time not impact on normal operation, we could use
quota with a high ratio between soft and hard limits, e.g. soft
limit (and reporting threshold) of say 5 MB, hard limit of 25 MB
This would not impact on unusual situations for an individual IP,
and give them time to respond, but at the same time prevent them
from swamping the system.

(11) Many IP's especially new ones, are likely to be using
"automated" upload tools which may not give effective reporting of
upload failure due to quota limits.

(12) With new-style IP's that don't use CCN's PPP or dialup service
(i.e. ftp from another provider) we need to store a contact-email
address(es) for the site editor(s) for several purposes - e.g. quota
problems, system downtime warnings, renewal notices, etc.  IPDBmark2
is probably the appropriate place.

Add more requirements here -

Once we have evaluated the issues/requirements then the discussion
can continue on the ccn-tech list as to how and who will build it.

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN Postmaster
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa146/    W 426-4894  CSuite Technical Workshop
Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca