(was Re: IP accounts)

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:59:39 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Sharon Parker <sparker@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca, ljdeveau@glinx.com, editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, murdoch@csuite.ns.ca, af180@chebucto.ns.ca,

Hi Sharon,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Sharon Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 aa935@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:
>
> > http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/election/fees/ipfees.htm
>
> I've been trying to follow this thread to the best of my ability. One of
> the difficulties I'm having here is typified by the lack of intuitive
> access to information. The above URL, for example, is a frustrating
> example of information that seems to be inadvertently hidden from view. I
> just went through all the IP pages and could find no link to the
> above-mentioned page. Can we realistically expect people to know this
> stuff when we can't even find it ourselves unless we're given the actual
> URL?

The fees page is actually link from several prominent and public
locations:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/IPsupport/vdn.html
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/IPsupport/IPResponsibilities.html
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Chebucto/IP/reasons.html
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/IPsupport/WhatIsIP.html

These are all pages where anyone who was investigating being an IP or
having a VDN would go.

As for the URL itself:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/election/fees/ipfees.htm

I agree: it is a non-intuitive location. I had suggested that it be placed
in /csuite/info/Services/IPsupport/ along with other information that
pertains to IP Services, in keeping with how we organise our materials in
general.

> I have a question, as well, about the IP list at:
>
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/ips.html
>
> I'm wondering if this is a complete up-to-date list of our IPs? It's
> probably naive of me to assume that because the page was last modified
> February 3, 2000, that the information it contains is current.

Not at all: this page is _always_ up-to-date for the simple reason that it
is generated (at least) daily by a CRON activated script. ;->

> Whether or not the info is up-to-date, however, it seems to me that a
> good starting place would be to compile a list of contact names and
> phone numbers/addresses for all the IPs we know about.

We already have every bit of this information: addreses, phone, numbers,
faxes, contacts, their EMail, etc. & more. It _all_ resides in the IP
Database.

> Whether they are still with us or not, a phone call would establish
> their status and we could theoretically take it from there, discussing
> fees, services, membership, etc.

What I have been trying to say is that there is no question that _all_ of
these IPs are active IPs that are with us (with a confidence level or 99%,
i.e there might have been some developments in the past 2-3 weeks that I
might not be aware of). The Editors (myself included) keep relatively
close tabs on this and, as I pointed out, I regularly go through the
entire IP constituency to check and see if there are problem areas (sites
moving/moved; sites orphaned as a result of expired IP Editor accounts,
etc.) and then take action. All 'dead' IPs are weeded out and do not
appear in this list.

Nota Bene: there are a few 'peculiarities with this list since it is
script-generated. For instance one of Bob Adams 'dummy' IPs "IP Training
4" appears in this list, even though it is really just a testing ground
for IP Training. I'm not sure why the other three don't appear since all
four have IPDB entries.

> If somebody can give me a list to start with, I don't mind spending some
> time gathering contact information. However, the actual contact, I
> believe, should be made by someone more knowledgeable than I am, about the
> issue of Chebucto ITs.

There is no need to do this: its already done! ;->

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html