IP accounts

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:29:30 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: ljdeveau@glinx.com, editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, murdoch@csuite.ns.ca, af180@chebucto.ns.ca, potter@chebucto.ns.ca,

Hi all,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 aa935@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:

> "our IP membership fees are renewable at a 'suggested' basic membership
> fee of $50.00 per annum. This still depends though on what exactly is
> being 'renewed' - just basic service, PPP or VDN, etc.
>
> And here is the point of the argument.  The IP fee structure is clear. Don't
> mix membership and services.
> Basic services are provided at no charge - period.
> Membership is renewed annually - period.
> Other services such as VDN are renewed annually - period.
>
> Some IP's don't or haven't paid a membership fee, because, I suspect,  the
> office doesn't offer them membership.  Instead the office signs up the
> designated IP editor as a member.  While the IP procedure requires the editor
> to apply for a user account, the IP editor does not have to become a member,
> just as the IP does not have to become a member.

Good points. The truth, of course, is that, until recently, we've never
had a 'membership' for organizations as such.

To refresh our historical perspective; at one time we used to
differentiate between 'services' and 'memberships' for individuals (CCN
service was free; additionally memberships to the Metrocan Society, which
administered the CFN, could be purchased); this later changed to the
current structure.

In terms of IPs, there was no such concept as an 'IP membership'; the only
members were individuals. We now have 'Basic IP Membership' on the books,
although;

1) Its not clear what such a membership actually confers (Can IP members
vote at AGMs? Are there any benefits to being a member?). Its seems to me
on the face of it that it is solely a goodwill gesture.

2) There also isn't (at least anywhere that I am aware) any place in the
IP process where we actually try and sell/push IP memberships. If it's
relatively invisible its not surprising that IPs aren't electing to choose
it.

I think if we really want to implement this concept we need to clarify
what an IP membership conveys, and find some place in the IP process where
we can subsequently plug this.

N.B. have we ever investigated forms/scripts/credit card acceptence, etc.
so that people could donate/sign-up/renew online?

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html