IP accounts

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:22:04 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: ljdeveau@glinx.com
cc: editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, murdoch@csuite.ns.ca, af180@chebucto.ns.ca, aa935@chebucto.ns.ca, potter@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Leo,

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 ljdeveau@glinx.com wrote:

> We're attempting in the office to get a handle on our IP accounts - they
> having not been set-up for renewals in the past, we need to get some
> sense from the various editors what the status is of the various IPs
> that they support.

There have been no IP accounts per se (in the sense of having something to
renew on an annual basis). The only (possible) exceptions to this have
been the people with VDNs who paid (a variety of) fees and (perhaps: I
don't know what administrative structures the office had/has in place)
were to have paid (in some cases) annual fees (in other cases VDNs were
set up on the basis of a one-time fee.

> Can you provide us (email to: office@chebucto.ns.ca, cc.
> ljdeveau@chebucto.ns.ca) a status report on the IPs you each currently look
> after in your area - who has moved on, dropped out of sight and those that
> are active and current ???

The administrative system we have doesn't really either work this way or
provide an answer to your question. We don't regularly monitor all of our
IPs and (despite some calls to create scripts to do this) don't have a
mechanism to automatically see when an IP goes dormant.

Here is what we have: an IP database. Here is what I do (on a moderately
regular basis): check it to ensure that each created IP (or IP
application) has attached to it at least one active account as an IP
editor. If it doesn't I follow up and resolve the issue one way or other.

We don't (to my knowledge) have any bona fide IPs that have actually
keeled over, moved out, etc. Any such in the past (and there have been
many), in which the organization folded, the site went elsewhere, there
was no further interest or relevance in continuing the site, etc. have
been definitively closed (the directory is cleared out; edit groups are
removed; majordomo lists are shut down; and the old home page becomes a
redirect page/notification page on the status of the former IP).

Now there are some IPs which are quite dormant; some deliberately (they
were set up to present a certain set of information and have no intention
to do more than this); otheres becuase there is limited interest/
energy/activities, etc. but (at least as of my last monitoring) none are
actually defunct.

There is no ready way, other than visiting all IP sites, communicating
with their editors; and/or creating some scripts that monitor some measure
of activity (pages modified/year, etc.) that one could get a more
sophisticated profile of their relative degree of activity.

There are some IP _applications_ in the IPDB which are probably effectivly
defunct. I used to to go through all IP applications at least twice/year
and ask the prospective IP editors if the application was still active
(and if so, what we might do to move it along) or mothballed (in which
case we could jettison it), however, I haven't had time to do this for the
past year. It's good to do this since it inevitably kick-starts a few
applications; on the other hand having them there has no consequences on
our resources.

> >From this we will correlate with other files we have within CSuite to see
> if we can get an accurate picture of current accounts, what they paid when
> they joined us (for what services, ie; VDNs, webhosting, email, etc.). From
> this, we will determine a renewal fee and begin, with your assistance to
> contact them. This effort is critical to our on-going financial
> sustainability and growth.

The only such applicable set of IPs for this are the ones with VDNs (since
those are the only ones for which there were any charges). There are must
be less than a dozen of these and I'm sure David Murdoch could produce a
list of these. Fees, terms and conditions for these varied. The first ones
(Ski Patrol, SCETTINS, Heart-Health, etc.) paid a flat *one-time* fee of
$500. Others (like The Excercise Channel) paid what was then an annual fee
of $400 (for the same VDN package that we now charge $100 for). More
recent applications are for the $100 VDN Hosting fee.

> Appreciate your assistance in this endeavor. Please try to get back to us
> by the 7th at the latest.
>
> Many thanks,
> Leo
>
> PS. I'm assuming the address 'editors@chebucto.ns.ca' goes out to all the
> Chebucto IP Editors as identified at:
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Policy/IP/Editors/who.html . If someone has
> dropped off or added, please let me know

Leo, I administer the list <editors@chebucto.ns.ca> and I keep it
completely up to date. Its a requirement of subject editors to be members
of this list (since this is how we communicate) so everyone there is
included.

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html