Csuite 1.1 user account structure

From: jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca (John Nemeth)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:53:37 -0700
To: csuite-setup@chebucto.ns.ca

On Sep 29,  6:24am, Michael Smith wrote:
} On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Kenneth Applegate wrote:
}
} > aa002 don't seem to be installed directly under /opt/csuite/home, but are
} > located respectively in /opt/csuite/home/01/aa001 and
} > /opt/csuite/home/02/aa002, with 01/ and 02/ being owned by root. Is this
} > meant to be the start of several separate mounted filesystems for the user
} > accounts, so they could be spread out physically on several drives?
}
} Theoretically you could do that (more likely by making, say, 01-50
} symlinks to corresponding directories on a filesystem on another drive).
} The actual rationale was to keep the $CS_ROOT/home directory from getting
} too large, since large directories on most Unix systems slow down file

     Yep.  The only UNIX filesystem I know about that wouldn't have
serious performance degradations in this situation is SGI's XFS which
uses a B-tree directory structure as opposed to the simple linear
unsorted structure used by most systems.

} The hashing scheme is implemented in $CS_ROOT/lib/login2dir (and again in
} the login2dir function in $CS_ROOT/lib/cs-shlib). Unless it's hardcoded
} somewhere else, you could change it to whatever you like in both places,
} and all would continue to work.

     This would not be a wise idea as CSuite was not written in a
formal manner with proper modularisation.  To do this, you would need
to audit the entire system, which is a lot of work.

} > Also, it looks like a logged in csuite user will be in the account home
} > directory, ...aa001/, for example, instead of using a work subdirectory
} > like the old Freeport setup. As far as I can see, users will not have
} > access to configuration dot files in their home directories, so this
} > arrangement should be OK.
}
} Right. Users can view dotfiles, but not edit them, or upload new ones
} using Lynx or FTP, or extract them from compressed files with tar. I'm not
} sure the CSuite unzip has the same restriction. I think the worst a most

     Hmm, good point, I'll make a note of unzip for 1.2.

} > However, I wonder about issues of incorporating old Freeport style
} > accounts into the Csuite structure. Would these be accomodated with their
} > old .../bb123/work directory structure, or would they have to be revised?

     They would have to be revised; however, the scripts I mentioned
earlier deal with that.

}-- End of excerpt from Michael Smith