Problems with Csuite admin account

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:38:20 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Kenneth Applegate wrote:

> I noticed that the standard user account I created was assigned an account
> name of aa001 - reasonable, since there were no other Chebucto accounts on
> the machine. However, does the csuite administrator have a way to set the
> starting point for new account IDs?

In /opt/csuite/private, you'll find eight files that control how logins,
UNIX numerical user IDs, and Information Provider numbers are chosen. The
first four are probably all that you're interested in:

-r--r--r--   1 http     csuite         69 May 16 20:32 login-prefix
-r--r--r--   1 http     csuite       3992 May 16 20:32 login-suffix
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     http            2 May 16 20:32 prefix-ptr
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     http            2 May 24 22:28 suffix-ptr

For a login like aa999, prefix means aa-zz, and suffix means 001-999.
prefix-ptr and suffix-ptr contain the number of the line of
login-prefix and login-suffix to use when naming the next
user. login-prefix and login-suffix are numbered so that the first line is
line number one.

You'll first have to add new entries to login-prefix, since it only goes
up to az by default:

perl -e '
	foreach $i ("b".."h", "j", "k", "m", "n", "p".."z") {
		foreach $j ("b".."h", "j", "k", "m", "n", "p".."z") {
			print "$i$j\n"
		}
	}' >> login-prefix

Now bump suffix-ptr up to 47, and the next login will start with 'cc'.

The files that determine numerical UIDs and Information Provider names
are:

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       143988 May 16 20:32 uid-list
-rw-r--r--   1 http     csuite          2 May 24 22:28 uid-ptr
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4995 May 16 20:32 ip-list
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     http            2 May 24 22:39 ip-ptr

> Another item - there is a set time interval for the cron job that
> processes the activation of user accounts. For test purposes, it would be
> convenient to decrease the lag time to a few minutes. Can this be done
> just by editing the crontab, or is there a way to modify the time from the
> csuite Admin interface?

You'll have to edit your crontab to run it more frequently. We have it set
to run every ten minutes on one system, with a slight modification to
$CS_ROOT/cronbin/csuite-cron so perfmon (performance statistics) are only
gathered if "$minute" is 00, 01, or 02.

You can run $CS_ROOT/cronbin/csuite-cron from a shell as root at any time.