superuser or root?

Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 12:48:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James R. Hay" <jrhay@HayA.QC.CA>
To: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: "James R. Hay" <jrhay@HayA.QC.CA>

On Sat, 8 May 1999, David L. Potter wrote:

> Hi Jim... root and superuser are thes same thing. Unix and like systems
> provide these names for us poor humans. The real powers exhibited by these
> accounts are more closely vested in the 'uid' (user ID). 'root' and
> 'superuser' account will share uid '0'.

Well, yes but we use sudo to do things as superuser and that doesn't
always seem to work as advertised.  As an example when I first tried the
install I didn't get a request for information about the organization and
all that - what goes into the vars (I think) file.  Whin I diid it logged
in as root I did get that.

> Back to the install...
>
> You specified a directory for CSuite... what we call CS_ROOT. (The
> default is /var/csuite) In the directory CS_ROOT/build (/var/csuite/build
> ?) will be one or more files make.install-csuite.12514 where the last
> group of numbers is the process id when you ran cs_build.
>
> This/these file(s) contain a record of the install (the info that scrolled
> past as the install proceeded.
>
> To check on (for example) zmailer you can grep for zmailer in that file.
> You could also grep for 'error' or any other word/text string that you're
> curious about.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

TTFN,
Jim.

James R. Hay			jim@clublibertel.qc.ca
Technical Co-ordinator