Automagic Chebucto Directory

From: jwarnica@ns.sympatico.ca (Jeff Warnica)
To: "Michael J. Cormier" <mcormier@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: "CCN Technical Committee" <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>, "Chebucto Information Provides Committee" <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:28:55 -0700

> Jeff;
>     I have reviewed the test url put forward, the font is small
> in some ways
> however that could be fixed. I would like you to continue to put
> forth your
> proposal and please provide me with a url of the "online editing"
> part of the
> database for me and the area editors to review.

It dosent exist yet.. Since Ive been getting up at noon for the last few
days, and I have to go to work tomorrow, Im planning on changing phase the
easy way. Consiquently, I have some free time from about midnight till 0800
tonight/tomorrow.

>     The fact that this will include the template and not have
> errors in it is
> good, some pages on ccn are still not over to the new template
> and some pages
> have had the template hard coded into it defeating it's purpose. Will this
> System in the future be able to include other pages on ccn and
> just not editors
> area databases (i.e. the Editor's Home page, CCN-IP home page, & etc.)?

It could, but I dont think you want it too.. This paticular webapp is
desigined to do a yahoo style directory. While you could insert php tags to
do php includes, if people cant/wont figure out SSI, then they cant/wont do
php.

If you mean that you want the body of pages stored in some db backend, and
editors can only change the body, with almost zero HTML (links only), then
it could be done. In the style of the 'printer friendly version' in online
periodicals everywhere there could be a 'lynx friendly' version. But thats
gettin ahead of ourselves a bit.

>     The current Csuite editing procedure is out of date and using
> new programing
> languages can help us to attract more volunteers. Keep up the good work.
>     Michael Cormier
>     EIC, CCN

After that last sentence and a half I see you are ready to fully seize
ubiquitous web-readiness with the Web Economy Bullshit Generator
http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html. Fun for the whole family.